Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lullaby for Birdie

I am not the greatest singer in the world. In fact I can barely carry a tune but I love to sing. When each of the kids were babies I would sing or hum songs to them, especially late at night when I was tired and was trying to get them to go to sleep. Each of them seemed to have a favorite that I would sing and it would soon become a standard source of comfort when they were cranky or not feeling well or just having trouble falling asleep. For Justin it was Amazing Grace, for Ryan it was Sweet Baby James. Brandon loved Moon River, though that was spent humming since I never knew more words that the first line or two. My little Sophia is already starting to lean to one of my all time favorites, Somewhere Over the Rainbow, but not the classic. This one is sung by a Hawaiian singer that people lovingly refer to as IZ (you may have heard the beginning on the rice krispies commercials).  I love this version. When I was stressed during the pregnancy I would turn him on and listen to a few songs and would be instantly relaxed. I don' know if she heard me belt this tune out enough times in the tub during the pregnancy that she remembers and so it soothes her too but I am so thrilled that she seems to enjoy a song that I love so.

1 comment:

  1. I listened to it yesterday, and it's benn going through my head ever since. It is very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete