Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Week of Thanks - Wednesday

My Husband

Dave really amazes me sometimes. I had planned on listing him on my things to be thankful for this week but today put it all into perspective on why.

Because i am on weekly visits to my doctor to keep an eye on the baby for Fifths Disease (no sign yet, only two more weeks of checking - yippee!) the doctor noticed that my placenta previa needed to be checked again. At 20 weeks it really didn't seem like a big concern. It was barely a problem and the doctor told me that most likely by delivery I would be fine, most women that have it at 20 weeks are. Today the doctor decided to check once more since I was at 28 weeks and at a point where the answer on how I am doing would be clearer. So as he was checking he showed me where everything is right now and I have a complete placenta previa. What that means is the placenta is completely covering the cervix and I have to keep a close eye on it. The doctor explained that there is still a small chance of it moving by the time we are ready for delivery but that I shouldn't keep my hopes up. The way it looks now I would be delivering by c-section somewhere between 36 and 38 weeks and in the mean time I have to be very careful with bleeding.

To bring this story back to Dave...I called him on the way out of the doctors office quite upset over the thought of having to have a c-section and possibly delivering early. He sat quietly and listened to me rant on. I finally hung up to drive and by the time I got home I was a bit calmer but still not too happy. Dave took me and hugged me, then he reminded me what was really important - the baby is OK and I will be OK. He told me that he will take over more stuff around the house and that we will talk to the kids about picking up some slack too. He also told me that he will go right to his boss on Monday and explain the situation. If I start to bleed he will be leaving immediately, not matter what is going on. If he needs to work from home, so be it. We will try and have everything prepared early just in case. If I have to go on bedrest, so be it. He stayed calm and sane amongst my insanity and he put everything into perspective. Health and wellbeing, that is what we will strive for. Prayer wont hurt either. Just like everything else, we will make it through this together.

Thats is why I am thankful for him. Because no matter what life throws at us I know he will be by my side.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Dave is doing a incredible job as a husband and a father. I'm so happy for you that you have a great relationship, you know each other very well. I pray for your health and the strentgh of your family. you are very lucky, you have a wonderful family. Which makes a great family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because if he doesn't I will fly out there and kick his ass if he doesn't!!!!
    Did i say that outloud?

    ReplyDelete