Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I'm Just A Mom


As you all know I have 4 kids. No, it wasn't planned except maybe in my dreamy tween years before I knew how much work kids really were, but I wouldn't change a thing. Yet I have found there is something different about 4 kids. After you have passed the 3 child mark you are looked upon differently.

The parents with less children will say things like "I don't know how you do it!" "4 kids...Wow!" or "Supermom!" I do see this happen though even if you have less than 4 kids. It's more like anyone who has more children than you suddenly becomes your hero because you can imagine adding any more work to your already hectic life.

I can laugh at the people who feel this way. I can let out my big sigh and say "I don't know how I do it either!" I can just give them one of those looks and they understand.

The thing I find really strange is from other moms who have more than 3 children. It seems any # over three suddenly earns you respect from some of these moms. Somehow it doesn't matter if they have 4 or 8 or more, you hear how wonderful you are for having "such a beautiful family!"

I had a woman stop me today and tell me how great it was that I was a mother of 4. She proudly exclaimed how she was a mother of 5 glancing down at her new baby in the car seat in the shopping cart. Another time I was stopped by a woman in Borders who began a conversation with me over how great it is to have so many children fill your life. She was a mother of 8.

These are the people that I don't know quite how to respond to. I am a honest person. I tell it like it is. It's not easy for me much of the time. I love it but man, it's work. So how do you respond to people who find total bliss in being a mother of so many children and expect you to feel the same way. How do you tell them that you have laundry everywhere, you wish you could just have a moment alone in the bathroom and your ready to strangle one of them for doing something you told them not to a hundred times already today.

I want to tell them I am just a mom, just like all the other moms out there. I have my good days and bad. I don't have enough time or energy. I just do the best I can and hope it's enough, which is all any mother does.

You do it for those beautiful little ones who don't know you as anything else but Mom. Whether your a mom of 1 or 19, you are able to do it for your kids.




3 comments:

  1. I know what your feeling. When we were in Germany, and doing day care. I had 8 or 9 kids with me one day, walking a trail for walking. I had Germans looking at me and smiling, or say kinder?. To funny. Of course you know of the story when I had Jennifer in a German Hospital. They would come in and look at my chart and say fure kinder?, I would say yah, and they would walk out. This would happen quit a few times while I was there. Heck, while on one of our trips in Germany we had to to get 2 rooms. There rooms were not big enough, for a large family. Yhea I know the deal. You have to be proud, your kids are not bouncing off the walls like others are. Your doing great girl,
    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Tania!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember - wine can get you through the worst (and best) days!

    ReplyDelete