Sunday, July 18, 2010

My New Jersey


When I moved from NJ to North Carolina 9 years ago we had planned on being here a year, maybe 2 but because of certain circumstances here we are. Not that I mind so much anymore. I still miss my friends and family but I have to say this is a great place to raise a family.

That being said I am still a Jersey Girl at heart and always proudly state where I am from. This, many times, will bring a look from other people as if to say "I'm sorry" or they will say "Don't you just love it here?" I try to convince them that where I came from in NJ was very much like this. The problem is people see NJ from the Newark Airport. They see Port Elizabeth. They really see the worst parts of Jersey.

So here I am going to bring you just a little bit of my NJ.

We don't go to the beach we go "Down the shore." Notice there is no "to" in there. Not necessary. Although going down the shore is great, it's really no big deal. You see you can get up in the morning and decide to go. You can throw on your suit, grab your wallet and a towel and go. It's only and hour or so to get there so no big plans, no worries about where to stay. You can go just for the day. Weather goes bad, hop in the car and drive home. No big deal. Don't get me wrong, you can plan a wonderful week there but it's not necessary. Plus there are places for the younger crowd, families, or even those who have better things to do than get all sandy.


The boardwalk has everything you can want. The best Philly cheesesteaks, the best NY pizza (more on the pizza later), games, rides and the best of the best people watching ever.


Than you have the beach itself. Beautiful calm cold water, the pier to keep you out of the sun and lots of sand.

Then you have the parks. Yes, we have parks. We have green. There really is a reason it's called the Garden State. This time we went to Colonial Park and took a paddle boat around the pond. So beautiful.


Then there is nothing like our Diners. Nothing. This is the one closest to where I grew up. The Spinning Wheel has been there for as long as I can remember. You can go there any time of the day (or night) and get great cheap food. The people who work there love what they do and it shows. You are treated like family. Is there anything you need? Hon, can I get you more coffee?Yea, Hon and Dear and Babe. You see that stuff doesn't really bother us. It's a term of endearment. It's' what we call anyone we like.


Then there are the Delis. No, not the kind in the grocery store. Real Delis. Yum! The sandwiches there cannot be beat. Fresh, so delicious. At some of the best you will wait in line for one of their hoagies (that a sandwich for those of you not from the area). Then you can buy fresh salads or Panettone or real Italian Olive Oil. Doesn't matter. You can get it.

Oh, and about the pizza. I don't care what anyone says. You cannot beat NJ, NY pizza. It's pretty much the same. What's with this deep dish. That not pizza. Pizza is greasy and thin crust and amazing tomato sauce and mozzarella, REAL mozzarella. Mmmmmm. Nothing like it. In NJ we all have our favorite Pizzeria. They know your name, they ask about your family. When we stop at ours when we go back home they ask how NC is. We are only there twice a year if we are lucky but they remember us.

That's my NJ. Not the "New Jersey Housewives" Not "Jersey Shore" (hey, they aren't even from NJ! Whats with that?). Those shows are fun but they aren't New Jersey. New Jersey is fresh tomatoes in the summer, chasing the fireflies through the yards. It's small town but close to the big city. You have the best of everything.

So when I tell you I am from Jersey don't feel sorry for me.

There is a reason Jersey Girls stay Jersey Girls for life.

6 comments:

  1. Amen!!! Beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful place to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Repeat what Karen said Amen!
    Every chance we got, we ate Pizza! You forgot the Jersey CORN? YUM!!!! I'll always remember Sunfish Pond, where Rob andI knew we could make it together.Subs-----we got a few at Sub Shack in Hackettstown for the picnic. Now they know how to put the meat on!
    ...Jersey Girl xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a new found respect for Jersey Girls...I will admit to being ones of those that wondered where the pride came from...sounds like a great place to grow up =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a Jersey Girl, but I have lived in NJ since 1989. Where else can you have NYC and Philly less than an hour away? Not to mention some of the best beaches on the East Coast. (The water temp in Cape May is really warm, too!)

    I can have horses in my backyard and am surrounded by farm lands - but in no time I can be at a Broadway show or the Philadelphia Zoo (complete with new baby giraffes!)

    Sopranos, Jersey Shore, etc. - not in my New Jersey!

    ReplyDelete