Wow! I have been gone for awhile. I have been trying to keep up with daily life and some things have fallen to the wayside. I miss it though. I miss being able to vent and tell everyone about what is happening in our lives. I miss hearing from others to give me advice or let me know I am on the right track.
So I finally got to meet with Ryan's teacher for our parent teacher conference. I wasn't too worried about it taking so long since we know the teacher (he was also Justin's teacher 2 years ago) but I did want to hear how he is doing in class and what the teacher thinks of his work. The teacher let me know that he was doing well, getting along with everyone in class and getting solid grades in every subject. He then let me know that he does feel that Ryan could do better. He even thinks he may be able to be in AG classes. The only thing holding Ryan back is his tendency to be shy and quiet.
I would tend to agree with Ryan holding back so he doesn't have to put himself out there but I also know Ryan has a tendency to do only what is necessary. When cleaning his room with Justin he does move slowly making Justin do much of the work. When doing homework he will do the bare minimum. Most times I end up letting him get away with this. I am busy making sure Justin is doing his homework correctly or keeping the little ones out of their hair so they can both focus. When Ryan sits down, does what he needs to and not need any extra help it makes my life easier. I have been taking what I can get. Now I realize that, though he is doing well, I am not helping him get the most out of school because I don't pull him out. He is comfortable being the person in the background, not always getting the attention. I need to take a step back and realize that I need to pull him out of his comfort zone a little to really help him excel. He may being doing well but I would not be doing my job if I knew he could do so much better.
So it begins. I spoke to him about trying to step out of his comfort zone and speak up in class a little. I will make sure he presents himself in the best light he can. I will support him so he can grown and spread his wings fully. I will no longer take the easy way out with him because it will give me a little easier time in the afternoons. Yes, its even more work for me but how could I not do it. How would I ever be able to look back once he is grown and say "but you did ok." I want to look back and say "wow! you did great!"


I think shyness runs in our family. The girls would be quiet for the longest time, untill Heather started Skills USA and working. Jennier the same thing.Let him speak up , you can't hear him? Ask for him to speak louder, until he is screaming. LOL I did this to a girl in 8th grade, she starting speaking up when I told her I couldn't hear her.
ReplyDeleteLet him have the spotlight at home, everyone has to let Ryan speak and they have to listen. Let him talk about his feelings. Your doing great Tania, your going in 4 different directions. Everyone takes a turn.
I still think that if something is not broken - then why try to "fix" it? Encourage Ryan to be his best - and do his best. But remember - Ryan is Ryan. You don't need to "make" him into anything else. Being shy and quiet - it kind of reminds me of his mother. :)
ReplyDeleteYour right Stacy - I don't want to push him to be something he isn't. I am just hoping to nudge just a little so he can realize his full potential. And you are right about him being like me, as quiet as he is, around people he is comfortable with is is as loud and boisterous as me!
ReplyDelete