Eight years ago today I held this tiny little guy in my arms and was amazed at how much I loved him. Now eight years later, I am amazed that I could love even stronger and harder than I did back then.

Ryan is an intense child. he has been since birth. I think that is one reason I can love him so intensely. As a baby he screamed when he was buckled in his car seat, he holled if Dad even looked at him, he wailed when he was put down in his crib. It was exhausting but you would look at him and see such determination even then. He crawled at 6 months, walked at 9.
One of his favorite stories is hearing how, at 10 months, I left him for a moment to go to the bathroom and I came back to find him on the kitchen table "dancing" and so proud. His other is how he used to get angry at the floor when he fell, as if it had been the floors fault.
As a toddler he would bite his brother and me. His favorite game was "charge", which entailed him running full speed at an unsuspecting person to try and knock them down. He still to this day struggles with his intense feelings.
Here is the thing though. It doesn't just work one way. He loves so intensely too. His seriousness is only overshadowed by his goofiness (though you have to know him well to be witness to this, he is too shy to reveal this side of him to "outsiders"). He has such a kind soul and will do almost anything for others. He is the boy who will move a snail off the sidewalk so it won't get smooshed. He is the child who insists on a hug and kiss at lights out, even though he gave us one when he went to bed and, if we are late, he will come looking for us. He is the one who, even after Brandon just threw another toy at him, he will sit down and try to do something with him.
I just know that with all that he is, he is going to live one amazing and full life and I am just so glad that I get to be a part of it.
Happy Birthday Ryan...I love you!


Tania that was Beautiful! Happy Birthday Ryan! I am sure you are just as glad to have such amazing parents for the past 8 years!
ReplyDeleteNow party like a rockstar!
Sweet words for a wonderful nephew. Can't wait til we see him!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Big Guy.
Wow - 8 years old already! How time flies! Happy Birthday to Ryan! I hope he got everything that he wanted! :)
ReplyDelete