You see while learning about Justin's diagnosis I am also learning that it is my diagnosis. The apple did not fall far from Mama's tree. I now understand a lot more of my childhood (and adulthood to be honest.) I am coming to think that my brother Steve probably had this too, but with the hyperactivity mixed in. I actually understand him better than I ever have before. I just feel bad that it is too late to tell him.
I am now navigating all of the different treatment options that we have. This is one of those difficult things to treat because one camp says the other is a bunch of hooey and has no backing while the other camp says how dangerous the first can be. Right now, with the support of Justin's specialist and our family doctor we are looking at making dietary changes and possibly signing him up for something called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). This will help teach him (and me) how to do some things that come more naturally to most people, such as controlling your emotions (calming down), noticing when you aren't focused and refocusing techniques and handling certain social situations among other things. We are also looking into how to make sure we get more time outside on school days while not sacrificing completing homework and bedtime.
The dietary changes look like they will be the hardest. First we have to decide which (of two) plans we are going to try. Either one is quite a change from his current eating habits, even if he doesn't eat too bad over all. With the kids being picky eaters it should be quite interesting.
The other thing that has me worried right now is certain people at Justin's school. When this process started again a few months ago, some have already questioned if he has been on medication to help him focus previously (NO!) and asked if he will be going on any if he is diagnosed. I am not a fan of medication in general. Oh, don't get me wrong, if it is needed I whole heartedly will give it. But, I am not one of those people who gets antibiotics for every sniffle or would take meds to mask symptoms of a bigger problem. I have watched people around me take medicine for high blood pressure when they were downing the salt and were way overweight. I watch others take cholesterol medicine while frying up pork chops and dolloping tons of butter on their side of mushrooms. I have also known people to give meds to their kids but still feed them a ton of over-processed, sugary JUNK. A small part of me can understand them, not wanting to make a hard thing harder but I just can't do that.
I know they will look at me as if I am wasting their time, not "helping" him. I know that they will push me to do something I am not comfortable with. I am ready for the fight, though I really hope I don't need to. I just want them to understand I am helping him and hope they will do the same.
My last fear is that, with me not being big on following through, that I will be all gung ho about this but we will get "lazy" and slowly go back to our old habits. I want so badly for this not to happen but I know me too well. This will be my toughest trial. This will take everything in me. This is why I decided not to homeschool. This is why I don't stick to exercise plans.
The problem is, this time I don't have a choice. I must find a way to do it.
This isn't about me anymore but about my whole family.


Tania, one step at a time. I would try everything before the meds. Remember you have to be comfortable with your new life style. If trying new eating habits works and your family is liking it Wonderful! But if no one likes the foods, ditch it. Don't stress over it, and don't hurry it. It might take somtime to start working. Please keep me posted on what your doing. I'm very curious.
ReplyDeleteLove you.
You are going to do great. I am sure once you get in the habits with the eating it will become easier.
ReplyDeleteI also would not fear the school one bit. You just do what is best for your family and stay strong. The rest will work itself out.
Hang in there.
Hi Tania, I think it's great that u and Dave are trying other avenues. The meds will always be there and u could always have that as a last resort. Of coarse the schools and some doc's will want u to take the quickest way out. You do what u feel is right for your children. They are yours, not theirs! I found a great video on the subject, you might have seen it already but just in case, this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D2utqmVGPCt0 And if you guys need a good laugh, here's a link to a south park episode where all the kids were diagnosed with it too: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=ZXFFHDUO Carla
ReplyDeleteRemember - it takes 21 days for the brain to adapt to a change and make it a "habit". Its only a short time to start making the positive changes that it sounds like you want to make for your family.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about the picky eaters - they will eat what you make (especially if they are hungry enough).
Stick to your guns - you're the BOSS!
I wish you the best of luck on this new journey.
ReplyDeleteI used my friend Kate's tutorial to make the bloomers.
http://texasnorth.wordpress.com/2009/06/04/oh-my-word/
You know, I know this isn't the same, but... I used smoke cigerattets everyday for about 6 years. I got put in a position where I needed to quit for Leila. You see, I didn't want to be one of those parents that smoked while my kid was in the car, or I didn't want her to be around it at all. I had tried numerous time before and failed every time. Once I had even stopped for a month and went right back to it. Finally, knowing who it was goin to affect helped me quit when nik was pregnant with Leila.
ReplyDeleteI guess the moral here is that you are going to know what is best for your child. And you are the type of person that will so anything for your children. Like mom said, if you fail with the first dietary plan, don't give up.... The power that parents have when it comes to our children is amazing. You will do great. When you find something that works, and you will, it will make you happy and want to continue with it. God Bless...