So three weeks later, after the coldest spell North Carolina has seen in decades, I finally finished his quilt. Though he didn't mind not having it for the cold snap. Since I was binding it he had mine to get under.
You see this all started when my sister sent us these beautiful lap quilts. They are great to use when it's a little chilly in the fall or during a cool spring rain and you want to sit a read a book or something. The winter isn't too bad down here but since our TV room is over the garage it gets cold in there at night and the lap quilts just weren't made for that much of a chill. Last year I made my quilt while on modified bed rest with Sophia. I wanted something bright and happy to cheer me up during that stretch of stress. I think Dave got a little jealous of my quilt. I was snuggled warm under a huge cover while he used all the small ones to try and cover his 6'4" frame. So this fall it was decided I would make him a large one for the winter. The problem is it took much longer than expected.
I realized it not smart to try and sew a big project like that with so little sleep. First I sewed the pattern together wrong but didn't realize it until after I cut my 9 patches. So I had to take apart each one to re-piece. Then one piece was incorrectly added to the quilt top but I didn't realize until after I pieced the whole thing.
Then there was just the lack of time. Before I knew it was Christmas, so I packaged the half finished quilt. He loved the look of it and understood why it wasn't finished but I was disappointed in myself for not getting it done. It did help that I was finally able to work on it in front of him.

So exactly 3 weeks to the day after Christmas I was able to hand him a finished quilt. He loves it!


Nice job! It looks like a good fit for Dave. You could have taken the smaller quilts and piece them together. LOL
ReplyDeleteDave looks like a happy camper. :~)
It is beautiful and how great are you to make him this beautiful gift :) It is truly gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteThat. Is. Amazing. Wow - what a nice gift!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I love, love, love the colors, fabrics, everything.
ReplyDelete